Thursday, May 03, 2007

I should be rich! (with money)

Here is an interesting article I found on-line today...

Stay-Home Mom Job Worth $138,000 a Year
5/2/2007
Reuters

NEW YORK (May 2) -- If the typical stay-at-home mother in the United States were paid for her work as a housekeeper, cook and psychologist among other roles, she would earn $138,095 a year, according to research released Wednesday.

This reflected a 3 percent raise from last year's $134,121, according to Salary.com Inc , Waltham, Mass.-based compensation experts.

The 10 jobs listed as comprising a mother's work were housekeeper, cook, day care center teacher, laundry machine operator, van driver, facilities manager, janitor, computer operator, chief executive officer and psychologist, it said.

The typical mother puts in a 92-hour work week, it said, working 40 hours at base pay and 52 hours overtime.

A mother who holds full-time job outside the home would earn an additional $85,939 for the work she does at home, Salary.com.

Last year she would have earned $85,876 for her at-home work, it said.

Salary.com compiled the online responses of 26,000 stay-at-home mothers and 14,000 mothers who also work outside the home.

2 comments:

Alli Easley said...

This is the article I needed to read today. See my blog for more on the "why is she saying this?" aspect.

Also, my new email is mikeandalli@gmail.com

Email me about the trip or call me at 702.569.6781. We are planning on coming to see you guys when you're here! (or you can come stay with us!)


Love ya!

Rachel said...

Tori
I just read your blog...I mean your ENTIRE blog. :) Well, not just, I've been coming back to it all day; reading in bits and pieces. I loved it. :) You have so many terrific entries. And I feel much better now that I'm a bit more caught up on you and your family :)
I can't wait for more....
Rachel :)