Saturday, March 11, 2006

Its raining, its pouring!

After 141 days without rain, this desert is getting a well needed drink. It has been raining at least four hours, and I love the sound of it on my roof. Makes me want to curl up on the couch and read a book (actually doesn’t take much for me to want to do that). It would be even better if it was a thunderstorm like what they have in Missouri. Abram says to me this morning, “Mom, we sang that song to the clouds, but the rain won’t go away!” (Rain, rain, go away...)

Update on the gym/weight watchers: I have stopped going to weigh-ins at WW, mostly 'cuz I was tired of paying them money to tell me that I weigh the same as I did the week before. I have lost about five pounds, but I don’t want to pay them anymore money. At least I am not gaining!

On my last trip to the gym, I was working hard on the treadmill and needed a drink of water. As I took a big gulp…I choked on it and sprayed my machine and the lady next to me. (Sound familiar Britt?) It was quite embarrassing. As I was mopping up my mess from her machine, I was apologizing and explaining it was just water. She was very nice, however, her workout ended shortly thereafter. I haven’t been back since, not because of that incident, but because my kids got pink eye and all my doctors decided to dictate overtime which led me to transcribe overtime.

Baseball season has begun in our house. Gabe has started his fifth season of baseball, third of coach-pitch. He played two games this last week and loved it. He made some good plays, hit some good hits, and grinned the whole time. He is #3 on his “Sidewinders” team, yet again “GABE RUTH.” (They have minor league names) Abram and Ethan are to start soccer within the next couple of weeks.

I have read four more books to add to the list, so here is an update:

9. Purity and Passion by Wendy Watson.
10. Anne of Windy Poplars, by L.M. Montgomery
11. Random Acts of Kindness
12. The Secret Journal of Brett Colton by Kay Lyn Mangum

The last is a good LDS fiction story that requires a box of tissue handy. I read it in one afternoon…couldn’t put it down and had tears by page 50. I recommend all of the above four for various reasons.

My two babies are having birthdays this month: Jayne will be 2 on the 18th, and Abram will be 4 on the 28th. At this point in the past I was pregnant when my youngest turned 2, but no more! We are done, and it feels good!

Abram talks NONSTOP these days. Here is my favorite insight of his lately, “The Holy Ghost is in your head, but it doesn’t give you a headache.”

I can relate to the cleaning dilemma talked about by my cousin Brittany (see her blog link to the right). “Cleaning your house while having young children around is like shoveling the walk while it is still snowing.” Or something like that… I have a pile of books by the bookshelf that Jayne insists on having there all the time. One nice thing about having your kids get older, they help a lot! Especially when you can say and enforce “Your room has to be clean and homework has to be done, or no TV, Gameboy, or friends over.” Works wonders…most of the time. I can never keep up and am always frustrated by that fact, too. You are not alone, Britt.

I get e-mails from Flylady.net every day and love her words of wisdom but don’t always follow them. Baby steps, as she says…baby steps. “Housework done incorrectly still blesses your family.” “You are never behind…just jump in where you are.” Some of my favorite quotes from her. Speaking of that…time to put my shoes on and get to work.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i loved reading your update. I'm so glad that we get to keep in better touch through blogging. I can't believe it hadn't rained in that long! maybe i'll have to check out flylady...